Guide to Art History: Philadelphia, PA

Whether you are visiting or live in Philadelphia, take a look down this list of artful places.







   I visited this museum in the summer of 2019. Though it has been a full year since my visit, I continue to reminiscence on my day there. Not only is the building wonderful but the art inside is diverse. The Barnes Foundation houses many de Chirico, Cezanne,  and Seurat works as well as many highly acclaimed others. Though it does have a bit smaller of a collection, what they do have is of magnificent quality. I highly recommend it.


2008's construction




    I also visited this museum last summer, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that this place was heaven for an art-interested youth like me. The Philadelphia Museum of Art has departments ranging from East Asian Art to Costumes and Textiles. The main building was finished in 1928. The architects, Howel Louis Shay and Julian Abele, worked on different aspects of the building from one another. Shay worked on the building planning, and Abele contributed to the detail work. If you can, I recommend picking up a museum collection guide here, as it added an informative guide to my collection. 






    Although I did not get the chance to visit the Rodin Museum while I was in Philadelphia, I did get a change to walk by. This museum has the one of the biggest collections of Rodin sculpture, second only to the Parisian location. This museum does a wonderful job of showcasing Rodin's creative processes and his growth by working through his art as his career progressed. 

Clothespin 


Broken Button


Paintbrush


Three Way Plug


Claes Oldenburg

    Claes Oldenburg is a sculptor whose work can be found all around Philadelphia. He was born in 1929. His sculptures are mostly enlargements of every day objects. I had so much fun spotting these around the city. It is amazing how exciting an everyday object can become when Claes Oldenburg gets his hand on it. 

Sources: 
Noreika, Sarah. Philadelphia Museum of Art: Handbook. New Haven, Philadelphia Museum of Art in association with Yale UP, 2014.
"Philadelphia." Britannica School, Encyclopædia Britannica, 4 Sep. 2019. school.eb.com/levels/high/article/Philadelphia/108538#14819.toc. Accessed 27 Jul. 2020.
"Philadelphia Museum of Art." Britannica School, Encyclopædia Britannica, 22 Aug. 2016. school.eb.com/levels/high/article/Philadelphia-Museum-of-Art/610604. Accessed 27 Jul. 2020.



    Been to these places? Comment below! Know a place? Get it added with a comment down below!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Art History: On Display • Theme by Maira G.